This card was printed exactly as designed during Arkham Nights 2020, and that is amazing news.
3 experience per copy is a steep cost, so let's see the reasons behind.
- Flashlight (3) has 1 more supply
- Flashlight (3) now supports evasion tests
- Flashlight (3) logically gains an icon to commit.
The less obvious:
- Flashlight (3) is not an anymore, and is instead a . This opens so many doors.
- This means that Flashlight (3) can now be used on any investigate or evade action triggered by events and other assets
- It especially shines in the succeed by X events like Pilfer (3), Breaking and Entering (2), Lockpicks.
- Flashlight (3) is now one of the centrepieces of the "Difficulty 0" archetype. Not only it reduces the difficulty itself, but it adds onto other difficulty reduction effects like Winging It, Impromptu Barrier, Old Keyring (0) and (3), Lantern, Stealth and Stealth (3). As pointed out in the comments, it also works with The Skeleton Key, which guarantees every test difficulty to be 0.
If you are planning to play the Difficulty 0 archetype, with Shed a Light and Exploit Weakness (reducing the evasion to 0), Flashlight (3) is going to be a must-have. As this archetype is mainly , this means that you'll probably use Scavenging (2) as well.
The other archetype that could use this card is if you plan to investigate/evade using the succeed by X cards and that has access to Scavenging (2) to replay it constantly.
Who will be playing this?:
Any investigator with Scavenging (2) and who would want to use Exploit Weakness can take Flashlight (3) and will get value out of it. Out of them all, the investigators that I see taking the best out of Flashlight (3) are:
- Darrell Simmons the master of the Difficulty 0 archetype.
- Wendy Adams as she can easily dispose of Winging It through her ability and play Shed a Light with her Wendy's Amulet and play Scavenging (2)
- Preston Fairmont with his 1-1-1-1 stat line, who can Double, Double Shed a Light and with Lola Santiago, you will actually have 2 so automatically succeed means triggering Scavenging (2).
- Rita Young and her new Breaking and Entering (2)
- Minh Thi Phan using Arcane Insight, Shed a Light and Scavenging (2).